About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thank You and an Update
The Driveway Leading Home
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
A Listening Heart
Bloom Where You Are Planted
Potential In Jesus
Red Flag Day
One Thousand Gifts
Stay Alert!
An Award

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, February 21, 2008
TODD
Our younger son Todd has given me permission to share his story with you. I do so with great love and pride in the amazing young man that he is.

He’s our Yankee Doodle boy – born on the fourth of July thirty-five years ago. He was the only baby born that day in our small town hospital, and the nurses put a little flag on his bassinet. In those days Daddies weren’t allowed in the delivery room, so he and three year old Scott were at the fourth of July parade. How different things were in those days.

It hardly seems possible that thirty-five years have gone by since that day. He is now a husband and father with two sweet little girls. He was an easy-going baby, but always so full of energy. He has run circles around the rest of us since the moment he learned to walk.




These days he is the building manager at a large firm that produces car products. He is just like his Dad – handy at everything you can imagine. They work on cars together, do carpentry, plumbing – just anything that needs fixing. That is what he does at work – anything that needs doing. There are times we wonder how he does it all. He is the kind of person everyone calls on for help – and he never says no.


In his other job he is called Pastor Todd. He and his wife Sarah were sent out a few years ago to plant a new church in a town about twenty miles from us. They both work tirelessly – doing everything from cleaning bathrooms to street preaching, to knocking on doors, to preaching sermons, working in the nursery, and providing the music for worship. They pour their hearts into their small congregation. Many of the people they minister to are very needy. We have seen them take whole families into their small home to live with them until they can get on their feet. They simply love the Lord and want to share the gospel message to those in need of a Savior.

In October Todd began experiencing blurred vision in his right eye. He tried to ignore it – hoping it would clear up, but when the side of his face became numb he knew he had to see a doctor. To make a long story a bit shorter, a very astute eye doctor sent him for an m.r.i. and it showed that Todd has multiple sclerosis. A spinal tap confirmed the diagnosis.

It is difficult to find the right words to describe how our family felt. It was devastating news. Todd has a wonderful neurologist, who has provided excellent care, but the best care in the world will not cure this disease or reverse the affects it has had on Todd’s body. There are some different medicines that are available that they hope will prevent more lesions from forming in his brain. The one he has chosen is a daily injection.

Todd and Sarah are doing well. Their faith remains so very strong. One little incident best illustrates Todd’s heart. Our daughter was terribly upset by the news. She just couldn’t take it all in. When I told Todd about it, he said, “I’ll have to call her and encourage her.”

That is not to say that it hasn’t been difficult for him. I think the hardest part is adjusting to a new life style – one in which he just doesn’t have the energy to do the things he once did. We were talking the other day and he told me he had tried to play basketball with friends but his vision got so blurry he just couldn’t continue. And there are days when he feels rather weak. It is hard for one who has a heart to serve to suddenly have to be the one who needs some help. It all takes getting used to.

The company Todd works for has been very supportive. They have hired someone to be an assistant for him – to ease the workload. There is going to be an m.s. walkathon on March 1st and they are going to walk as a team in support of Todd. We’re all going to walk with them.

If any of you have been touched by this disease and would like to support the walk I will add this link to the m.s. walk

I do so very hesitantly because I don’t want anyone to think I have written this to solicit money. All of the money goes to research. I simply wanted to share a bit of what is going on in the life of my family, and to say that God is good. I absolutely could not do without Him. He has given us such a sense of His peace and love. I pray daily for healing, knowing that God is sovereign; that He has a plan for Todd’s life that is better than anything I could possibly imagine. He is our hope, our joy and our salvation. He has blessed us immeasurably. I write this simply to glorify His name and to state emphatically that He is all He has promised to be.




Blessings,
 
  posted at 1:37 PM
  16 comments



16 Comments:
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

Linda...I am so sorry about the diagnosis that Todd recieved...but he serves a God who does not let him out of His sight...Todd's vision may blur, but God's never will. Something I have learned...God never wastes suffering. Wanda's life is proof positive of that.
God bless you Linda~ what an awesome feeling to know that your family is praying and supportive!
I join in that prayer line for him!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Oh, Linda,
My heart just goes out to you. As a mom the absolute hardest thing on earth is to feel helpless as our children suffer - regardless of their age.

And what a testimiony to Todd's faith that he is able to encourage others at such a time.

I praise God for the power of prayer, Linda, and I KNOW the Lord hears your prayers for Todd. I pray God will use this seeming insurmountable situation for HIS glory. Thank God nothing we suffer is wasted in God's hands.

And I pray that YOU are alright, my friend. God's grace, peace and comfort to you.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

Know that I continue to pray for you and your family as you take one step at a time... in the Loving arms of our Savior!

Blessings friend!!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I am so glad Todd let you share this with this wonderful group of prayer warriors.

I did the MS walk a few years ago when I was walking all the time. It was really fun.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

What a privilege for you to share this part of your story with us. That little boy you held in the hospital, the man you co-labored with God to make... I could sense and feel all the things you wrote about him, just from his pictures, from your heart.

Linda?
God has chosen your family to mentor and teach many... to be transparent. So we can see Jesus in you all.

Thank you for humbly, authentically, shining for Him.

Todd and you all are faithfully upheld in prayer.

I send much, much love....
Ann

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Linda,
I will continue to pray for Todd! We know of the difficult and tiresome work in pioneering a small church.

I hope that I am able to support this walk. I am going to talk with my husband.

Blessings to you,
Chris

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I'll be praying for you son and the walk to raise money for him.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Dear Linda,
I haven't been able to blog or visit much lately but have been catching up on your news. I know you must be so relieved that your Dad's symptoms were not anything serious.
I know that your son's diagnosis had to have been very difficult to hear and I'll keep all of you in my prayers.
xo

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

What a hard thing for Todd and your family to deal with. I'm so sorry, Linda. But God is faithful and we will be praying for y'all.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Oh sweet Linda...I am so sorry that this happening to your sweet son. I know it is not easy to comprehend His plans sometimes--but I know that all will work for the good for those who love Him...

Thank you for sharing the link to the M.S. Walk.

(((hugs))) and blessings.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Linda, Lifting Todd and your family up in prayer. I also have a friend who was diagnosed a few years ago. My son had a teacher diagnosed also and he has walked the MS walk to raise money here in our community for research.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Linda,

This also hits close to home for me. An older cousin of mine, who you could call my sister we were so close growing up. She is an only child and I was the one who was very close to her.

She married, she has two beautiful girls... then was diagnosed with MS.

I was like your daughter. I could not handle the news. The diagnoses was over 10 years ago. And life is hard. I don't talk about her on my blog (she may read it) but it is hard for me to even accept it today.

I was angry at God that he moved me to Florida when she was in AZ, but I think the Lord knew I would give up everything to care for her.

Right now, her husband has left her (they are both Christians, but I think he is wandering right now in his faith). My Aunt takes care of my cousin's two children. My cousin needs constant care.

It is a journey I have seen God in, but it can be a hard journey.

Todd and his wife will be in my prayers.

((hugs))

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Linda, I am so glad you and todd felt able to share this with us, and I will be praying for him as well now. A dear friend of mine has MS and I have been to parliament to lobby with her for more effective treatment, and seen how she has been sustained with the new developments in medication. She was diagnosed in 1990 and is doing so well now.
I am catching up after being away for a week. It was lovely to read your blessings too!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Linda,

I'm sitting here reading this post through tears... I'm so glad you shared this, and that Todd felt it was okay for you to. It is a privilege to lift Todd up in prayer, and to help with the walk. I can only imagine the steps your family has had to take in this journey, and pray for the steps to come. I know you are holding fast to the Father. What a beautiful testimony of God's faithfulness.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm repeating what has already been said here, including a promise to pray for your son, Todd, his family and you, his parents. xoxo

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Linda, my heart goes out to you and to Todd and all the family. What an awful diagnosis, but how courageous he is, and what a positive attitude he has. You and your husband have raised him to be a fine young man of God. What do people do without The Lord to lean on?
I'll keep your family in my prayers. Sending a big hug, along with warmest wishes. xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home