About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
Wordless Wednesday - It's a Whopper!
In Other Words
Getting Out the Wrinkles
Pride Goeth Before.....well you know
Thankful Thursday
FREEDOM
Just Call me Sophora secundiflora
Reflections of Him
Simply Trusting

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, July 15, 2007
Looking to Jesus



Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

"Oh soul are you weary and troubled? No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior, And life more abundant and free.


Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face;

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace."

Helen Howarth Lemmel

I have a scar that runs the length of my back. I had major back surgery to correct a very bad spinal curvature nine years ago. The scar is a reminder of a time when I felt like I just didn't want to face another day. I was flat on my back for weeks, in too much pain to be able to sit up for any length of time. The only rehab was walking. My sweet husband would get me up every day to take me for a walk. At first all I could manage was a walk around the rooms of our home. Then gradually the walks lengthened, and we went for short walks outside.

I remember one afternoon as we were slowly making our way around the cul-de-sac in our neighborhood, I asked the Lord to give me something to hold onto. The words of that old hymn began to flow through my mind. As I thought about truly looking into the face of Jesus I felt a peace and a comfort and a "knowing" that all would be well.

I read these words in my devotional book this morning: "We can trust Him as we walk down this dark hall because He is good. Not only is He good, but He also does good!"
(Darien Cooper)
"The goodness of God endureth continually" (Ps.52:1b)
"Thou art good, and doest good." (Ps.119:68a)

There are so many overwhelming needs in our circle of blogging friends. Overwhelming to us - but not to Him. As I thought about all of those needs today the words of that old hymn came to mind once again, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus." He "is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think..." (Eph.3:20)

Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:29 PM
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 3:49 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I have always loved the words to that song. There are so many of the older ones that hold such beautiful promises to us. This was a beautiful post, Linda.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I'm going to print this out once I get to the new house. I need this. Daily.

One of my hopes is that I can start walking again at the new house. I need to start moving. It hurts like heck to walk, some some stupid reason.

Thank you for the lovely reminder, sweet sweet friend.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger moreofhim said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It truly touched my heart! I love that song and every time I hear it or sign it, I weep for the joy it brings my soul!

I hope you had a joyous and blessed Lord's day!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Beautiful, Linda. And exactly what I needed to read tonight. A whole new week starts tomorrow. Job searching. Waiting for a check to arrive. Thank you for this encouraging devotional.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Myrna said...

Thank you for those words. I love that song. It is a good one to remember at any time, but particularly when we feel somewhat overwhelmed by "the things of earth!"

Have a wonderful week.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger rena said...

Wonderful post Linda. Those words are balm to the soul! And you are so right - our needs are known to Him, who is compassionate and loving above all else.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

That is one of my all time favorite songs. I love the MWSmith version of it done live.

Thank you for always having such beautiful reminders of our faith. You are beautiful inside and out! (scar or no scar sister!!!)

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

And somehow, our scars remain to remind us of His presence.

I have posted today about just this thing.....I've just seen Jesus....is a very real truth!

Beautiful devotional today--much needed!

Diane

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh Linda...this was like a sweet devotional to me this morning. You bless my heart! Thank you for sharing this story and for the wonderful reminder that He is always taking care of us. xxoo

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I LOVE this hymn. It reminds me of 9/11. I remember the Lord bringing this hymn to my mind as I sat and watched the horrific events, and it really helped me to bring it into perspective (and gave me great peace) to turn my eyes upon Jesus.

Great post, Linda!

Oh, and I tagged you. :)

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Love that song and I love this post, Linda! Thank you for turning us to Him!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Pearls of Wisdom said...

Dear Linda,

Great post and thanks for the sweet reminder.

Angel ():)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home