About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
No Longer Linda
Away For a Couple of Days
Not a "Copper Girl"
Wordless Wednesday - Time to Saddle Up and Move 'E...
Questions Meme
Looking to Jesus
Thankful Thursday
Wordless Wednesday - It's a Whopper!
In Other Words
Getting Out the Wrinkles

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Daddy's Hand



We have been doing a lot of bike riding these days. My husband and I have switched from walking to riding our bikes up and down our hilly neighborhood. We bought a rack for the car so that we can take our bikes with us when we visit the kids, take a trip or just want to ride some place different. My husband even found a couple of used bikes and fixed them up for our son and his wife.

So when we went to visit the kids and grandkids last weekend we took our bikes. On Saturday morning we set out for a long ride with our son S., daughter-in-love S., and the two boys (the girls elected to stay home with little G.).

The beginning of the ride was fairly level, and we all stayed together. Eventually we came to a gentle incline. The guys took off a faster pace, and we girls fell a bit behind. Our younger grandson is only six, and he was making a valiant effort to keep up with the others. His bike is small, and his little legs were pumping like crazy. He is one of those little boys who always go full steam ahead. We all try to stay out of his way, because he tends to leave a bit of damage in his wake. He plunges headlong into whatever activity is going on – heedless of danger. Needless to say he is usually sporting any number of bruises and black-and-blue marks. He is a cheerful little guy and bounces back quickly. We sometimes just close our eyes and pray for the best!!

So, needless to say, he wasn’t happy about being left behind with Grandma and Mommy. His little face was getting beet red, and he was breathing hard. He just looked at me and said, “I wish I had stayed home.” We all made encouraging noises and urged him to just take his time. He still was not happy.

About this time his Daddy turned around and saw little J. struggling. He came back and began to ride beside his little boy. Then when we came to the next hill, he reached over and placed his hand on J’s back. Without even having to move his legs J. was suddenly riding up the hill with the rest of the guys. His Daddy was doing the work, and he was just resting. For the remainder of the ride they stayed together with Daddy helping his little boy up the difficult hills.

I have thought about that precious picture since then. It is just that way with the Lord and I. When I am struggling, He is there to place His strong hand on my back and push me along when I cannot make it on my own. I have only to rest in Him, and He will take me the rest of the way. He is never far off, and He never really takes His eyes off me. When He sees I am in trouble, or He hears my cry for help – He is there.

“Do not fear for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you.
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10

Blessings,
 
  posted at 11:45 AM
  20 comments



20 Comments:
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

You continue to nail things - right when it's needed most.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Linda, I just knew where you were going with this as I was reading it, and it gave me CHILLS as your illustration unfolded!

Wonderful insight, Linda. Beautiful word pictures. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I love this...so beautiful, Linda.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Oh Linda. What a wonderful visual picture for us to rest in. Thank you

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger moreofhim said...

What a beautiful story!! It's so awesome to think of the Lord with His hand on my back, helping me up the hills of life. Thanks for the uplifting story!!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

A truly lovely story Linda. You write well dear lady! What a sweet dad to come back and help his little boy. And a wonderful analogy for us..picturing our Father doing the same.
Those floods were awful and it must've been such a worry being so far away. I'm so glad your son and his neighbor's homes weren't flooded.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Beautiful illustration Linda!

How sweet of his Daddy to notice and know what his little boy needed!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Myrna said...

You always have something for me that I need to hear. Yes, His hand is right there helping us up the hills! Thank you!

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Perfect post, Linda. Great son too!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

My friend! If there would have been bicycles in Christ's day....THIS would have made it to the parables! Beautiful analogy!

And what a handsome young man!

Diane

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I absolutely love how your mind works. You can make a devotional out of ANYTHING! You are awesome.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

That is truly a precious picture of what Jesus does with us when the way gets hard.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Werna Gail said...

Your words are always so helpful, it is obvious that Christ dwells in your heart, "for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh". Thank you for your kind words on my blog. BE BLESSED :-)

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

what a precious story - I can just picture them riding together like that!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
What a touching post! Your son sounds like a wonderful father and I know you must be so proud of him.
xo

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Such a wonderful story, dear Linda! I love the thought of God's hand always being at my back, helping me through the uphill battles we sometimes face in life!! xox

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda, I missed this wonderful post when I was on vacation. I love that the Lord does this very thing you described. How blessed we are to serve such amazing God!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger sharon brobst said...

Oh Linda! I really needed to read this today. I sat here with tears in my eyes. For days now I've been trying to struggle up the hill...I am so tired...I just need to rest!Thank you!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Oh, Linda, I am so glad I scrolled down to read this beautiful post. How awesome that your son went back to help his boy up the hill.
What a wonderful connection you have drawn from this how our Heavenly Father interacts with us.

You are such a blessing to me and I know to so many others.

Much love....

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Wow! Why do I pedal and pedal like crazy, when I only need to ask Him for help? He'll still ask me to pedal, but His yoke is easy, His burden is light.

What a great story! I loved this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home