About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
A Little Bloggy Break
Thankful Thursday
In Other Words
MEMORIAL DAY
Thankful Thursday
The Fawn
Celebrating Me - Woman to Woman
Feeling Rich (and Blessed)

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, June 08, 2007
Lavender



I will be gone tomorrow. We are going to the Lavender Festival. It is being held in the small town about 25 miles south of us.

The Festival itself will be held on the grounds of the Court House in the town square. We actually rented a house in this town when we first moved to Texas. We lived there for about ten months while my husband built our home here. It was so much what I had imagined Texas to be. I can remember how thrilled I was - a newly arrived Yankee (I now consider myself, after 25 years, to be an honest-to-goodness Texan!) to see actual cowboys roaming the streets, going into the bank, shopping in the one little grocery store or eating at the Bowling Alley where they served the best food in town. I felt like I had really arrived.

There were some down sides to this small town life, but I'm not going to dwell on that. Suffice it to say, life can be difficult when you're new in town. Especially when you're a young child. All of that is far behind us now. We love it here - really love it.

Apparently the soil and climate here are just right for the growing of Lavender. Who knew? Our electric company publishes a monthly magazine that is really brilliantly done. I have learned so much about this wonderful state from its pages. A couple of months ago they did an article on Lavender and mentioned the Festival. There are nine Lavender Farms within a twenty minute drive of this small town, and they are all open to the public not only for the Festival but during the whole growing season.

As soon as I saw the article I knew this would be something my Mom would love. She has two Lavender plants growing in her yard right now. She loves Lavender. I still have a few dried flowers she sent me long ago.

So bright and early tomorrow morning my husband and I, my Mom and Dad, and our daughter L. will be heading out to the Lavender Festival. We have decided on three farms we want to visit - depending on how long we can withstand the heat and humidity (summer is suddenly here with a vengeance). They all offer fields in which you can pick a bouquet, stores where you may purchase all things Lavender, craft classes involving (you guessed it) Lavender, food (having something to do with Lavender I'm sure), music and large shade trees. I think it will be a lovely day.

I shall report back on Sunday. In the meantime....

Blessings,
 
  posted at 8:04 PM
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Ummm lavender! It's supposed to be one of the most soothing scents around. I've read that oil of lavender promotes sounds sleep!
Have a wonderful time!
xo

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I can smell the lavendar now! Have fun.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Linda,
This sounds so fun! I love the smell of lavendar. Have a great day!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Sounds like a great day - except for the heat and humidity!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Well, what a "stress-relieving" time that will be! (I have heard, as Susie said, it's a relaxing scent.) And spending it with those you love, how fun! I can't wait to hear all about it. Have wonderful time. :)

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

That sounds like lots of fun! I love going to things like that. Unfortunately it bores my 15 year old son to distraction. :v)

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Oh, Linda, this just sounds splendid :) I wish I were in Texas. Since I have been reading blogs from my sistas living in Texas, I want to move more and more to this beautiful state. Wish I could convince my Sweetheart.
I hope you are having a great time and travel safely.

See you Sunday afternoon, my friend.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Linds said...

I hope you are having a great time! I love lavender too, and have plants growing at home. I always plant some near where I sit on the patio, so I can smell that lovely soothing scent, especially in the evenings.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Myrna said...

I have "discovered" lavender scent recently. I have several brands of lotions, etc. now. The one I like best is from Hummingbird Farms in the Texas Hill Country--sounds like where you are going.

I love Fredricksburg. We have been there for family reunions several times. Quaint, fun shopping!

Hope you have a great time!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I'm a bit jealous. I have become a fan of lavendar and would so enjoy attending a festival. I can almost smell it now!!

Enjoy the time yourself!!!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger rena said...

How nice!!! Lavender is my FAVORITE (well, tied with roses) My grandmother grew lavender all over her yard and the scent just takes me back into those wonder years. Enjoy the festival!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home