About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
It's A Girl!
Gratitude: One Thousand Gifts
Amazing
Fossils Of One Kind or Another
SPRING
Debt
A New Thing
A New Little Kalanchoe
Sunday Afternoon Visit on the Front Porch
The Little Things

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Friday, March 06, 2009
The Small Stuff
After forty-two years of marriage I have come to the unalterable conclusion that my husband and I don't always agree on everything and don't even necessarily approach things in the same way (I have never claimed to be a fast learner.).

For example: Hanging pictures. My approach to this task is to eye-ball the place on the wall I'd like to hang said picture. Get a nail and a hammer (or any available heavy object that will drive a nail into the wall - I've been know to use a big metal spoon, but don't tell my husband about that little trick please.) I then proceed to pound the nail in, hang the picture and step back and admire my handiwork.

My husband on the other hand gathers the necessary tools to accomplish this task - tape measure, hammer, nail. He then begins tapping the wall with his fist to find a stud. Once located he then begins to measure from all directions to be sure to get the exact location he is looking for. He then carefully taps in the nail, hangs the picture and stands back to admire the professional job he's done.

Okay, so I do admit that there have been times I've made more than one hole in the wall, but once the picture is hung who's going to notice?

As a little aside here - did you know that you can use an ordinary sewing needle to hang even the heaviest of pictures. I didn't believe it myself, but it is absolutely true. You snip off the eye of the needle (I sometimes don't even bother with that because who feels like going down to the garage to find the right tool for that job), tap it in the wall, and you're good to go. I've hung pictures that are very heavy, and it works every time.

There really isn't much problem with the differences in our picture-hanging techniques, but there can be times when the differences become a tad annoying. Having come from a large Italian family where arguing (well discussing) was practically a sport, I've had to learn that there are some things just not worth arguing over. When I was a teenager, I would have these long "discussions" with my Dad over just about anything. We both knew that neither one of us was going to give - what fun would that be. There were times when I was waxing eloquent defending my point all the while thinking "I know he's right about this, but I am never going to admit it." In fact yesterday, we were arguing (make that discussing) whether we should be using soaker hoses around the foundations of our houses. He said no; I said yes. He was wrong - but he'll never admit it :-)

For years I've used one of those "twirly" sprinklers to water our lawn. Works great. I love it. Sadly, last year one of its little arms broke, and we needed to replace it (kind of hard to turn in circles and remain upright with one arm missing). It was late in the season, and we could not find a twirly one anywhere. So my husband bought this one.



I hate it. It doesn't cover nearly the area the twirly one does. It take forever to get the whole lawn done.



Last week our daughter gave us the extra twirly sprinkler she had just sitting in her garage. Happy day! An efficient sprinkler once again. We started using it immediately.

Yesterday, I said to my husband, "Isn't that sprinkler great? It does a much better job than that other silly one." He just looked at me. Then he said, "The other sprinkler makes a square pattern. I like that better because then you can easily see where you've left off." Huh? Who seriously cares if you miss a spot here or there or actually overlap in a few places? You cover more area!!

Here is where I normally would step up to the debate podium and begin to argue my case. But I have been learning that there are some things just not worth getting into a disagreement over. So I remained calm and didn't say a word (twitch, twitch).

He's running the sprinkler this morning - the twirly one. But he's marking the area it covers with rocks so he won't overlap.

"Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is counted prudent."
Proverbs 17:28

Blessings,

Notice how brown and dry our poor grass is!
 
  posted at 10:11 AM
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Laurie A. said...

linda,

your sense of humor is awesome. just wanted to let you know that i am thinking of you and praying the weekend brings much refreshing.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Demon Blogger just erased my whole comment! GRRR.

I was saying that one of the few things DC and I disagree about is the watering thing - when the sprinkler system kicks on, I immediately start seeing dollar signs in my head. I have been known to go down to the basement and turn the system on "Rain" when the first drops hit the ground. He never thinks we have enough rain!

I have hung many pictures with a straight pin - amazing how it works.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Hilarious, linda - I am grinning here! I never knew you could use a needle....amazing. I use Hiltis which are one of the best inventions known to man in my opinion!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can relate to so many things in this post. I'm married to an italian who thinks saying black when I say white is just fun conversation. Drives me batty sometimes. I love the book Love and Respect by Emmerson Eggerichs, talks about how different men and women are, their needs are, and their way of perceiving what the other sex says and does. We are so easy to be bothered or offended because we think the other one is picking a fight by being different, but really they are just... different! heh heh

oh and by the way... I would be totally enthralled with that brown and dry grass. Ours is still buried under 2 feet of snow. =)

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger the voice of melody said...

Linda, it sounds like you and I have the same approach to picture hanging!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

LOL. Oh I can so relate to this post. My hubby and I do things very, very different. Sometimes I just have to walk away and tell myself at least the job is getting done. And I'm sure he does the same.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

I never knew that about a needle but now that I do. It will make my life easier. If people knew my hanging style they would get a good laugh. Maybe one day I'll post about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home