About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
My Word For the New Year
Happy New Year and an update
Interrupted Break
Christmas
The Light of the World
The Star
Finding the Perfect Christmas Tree
This Is Christmas
New Star Shining
Our Christmas Program/ "Reaching"

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Rain and Hope

It rained last night! I think I may have mentioned a time or two that we are experiencing a sever drought here in South Texas. Last year was the third driest year we've ever had. I have been praying for rain for months.

For some reason, this praying for rain has become a metaphor for me of the truly deep needs I have been praying about for an even longer time. So often there would be the forecast for rain, and I would wait with great hope that the rains would come and the drought would end. Each time the weather system would circumvent us - going either north, south, east or west of us - leaving us with everything growing brown and dry and water levels getting lower and lower. We drive past ranches with tanks holding only a tiny bit of scummy water, and I wonder how the animals cattle could possibly do well under such conditions. Creek beds are dry and lakes and rivers shrink with every passing day. And I pray for rain and think it is just like everything else I am praying for - the heavens are silent.

In my last post I wrote about the word I think the Lord has given me this year - hope. So when the forecast was for rain yesterday, I began to pray again. There were a few drops falling when we left at 6:30 a.m. to drive to Houston, but they soon stopped. All day - only the tiniest of drizzles fell from the overcast skies. And I wondered about this business of hope.

I woke several times in the night and prayed so hard for rain. It sounds so melodramatic even to me, but somehow "hope" was in the balance.

This morning it was raining. There was over half an inch in the rain gauge. It was, to a heart that has felt more despair than hope in recent months, as though the Father had drawn me into His great arms of love. Even in the midst of drought there is hope. Even when the heavens are silent there is hope - for He is always listening; He is always moving and working on my behalf.

It rained - and hope grew stronger.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 3:57 PM
  16 comments



16 Comments:
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Linda, my word for this year is also Hope. Last year was Trust, and oh how much I had to learn about trust. I think the word Hope has just as much for me to learn this year too.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

this reminds me of a child who is worried and the daddy says It is ok. I won't let it hurt you. He may do little things to reassure the child till the event passes. I think this is God saying don't worry it won't hurt you.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

So good! Such a great analogy, once again. There's a song great about rain - I think it's Alan Asbury who recorded it. I need to look it up.

I've never had a word for a year, but I decided this morning that my word for the year is "flexibility". I am not sure it came from God, but I definitely am living with this concept every day.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Aunt Angie said...

In trying to play catch up with reading from my sweet friends....I have plunged on down the page here. First things first. I hope your dad is doing better still. Second...HOPE and FAITH go hand in hand. My year last year was all about Faith. Firmly entrenched in Psalm 27:14!
Now---I am so GLAD for your rain! Yeah! I know exactly that feeling you are talking about! The smell---fresh water from heaven! Oh mercy me! Yes---the LORD hears and answers...in the Oswald Chambers book...look at the devotion for January 4. See if it does for you what it did for me.

I love and appreciat you Linda! You are a treasured DEAR friend!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger grammy said...

I am so glad you got rain...and hope. When we were in New York in Dec. it rained four inches in one day. We hardly get that much in a year.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger kelli said...

You must live very near to me:) We also had rain...and we all slept so well last night and late into the morning! It's been so long, and it was so wonderful to hear it and see it! All the birds were out this morning basking the drizzle!!

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Great post.

Parts of Texas have been in drought while the Houston area escaped it. Last summer the landscape was green to a little west of Sealy and then turned brown. I told a friend I think we sowed so much mercy to Katrina evacuees that we reaped mercy. We didn't have the heat the rest of the state had.

I will begin praying for rain for the region that is in drought again.

Annette

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love the idea of having a word for the New Year! "Hope" is an excellent pick with our economy, new administration, and war in Gaza. I am delighted that all Christians have the "hope" we need just by trusting God's plan for our future... but isn't that trust hard at times. Our minds know it... but sometimes our hearts just can't grasp it. Thanks for your inspirational reminder and for the word of the year idea! Blessings to you in the New Year as we put our trust and hope in God.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Love this post! So glad your prayers were answered with the rain, and that you had such a special moment with God because of it.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger LA Nickers said...

His mercies are new every morning!

Blessings,
Linda
HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

Hope is one of the best words of all.

So glad you got rain!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh that was so refreshing (you know what I mean!) I literally *sighed* when I got to the end. Let it rain.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Amy said...

wow a drought there? gosh, prayign for rain for you. It rains alot here so you're more than welcome to have some of ours :-)

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Wonderful post... and what an example of God molding us as clay.

Lots of love and praying for more rain.

Love, Jess

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I did a little catching up here, Linda, and was so sorry to hear about what your poor father has been through, and I'm sure, your Mom. I'm glad he's better.

I love your word for the year. Hope. And I'm glad you got your rain. I hope you get some more. :-)

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Linda hello again from Australia yes. It is always a pleasure to come back to your blog and renew the "hope"with your lovely posts......yes it truly is.

Lee-ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home