About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Mission Accomplished
My Father's Eyes
VIOLETS
Wisdom
Quilt Show
Works For Me Wednesday
The Simple Woman's Daybook
Worry
Southern Gospel
Our Refuge

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, August 11, 2008
The Old "Ego Buster"
Saturday morning found my husband and I pulling into the little park a short drive from our house with our bikes happily riding in the rack attached to the car. Usually the park is empty, but on this particular morning there were several families picnicking under the oak trees. Several of the little boys were playing in the parking lot as we pulled in.

Feeling like an old hand at all this biking stuff, I got out of the car and went through the established routine of helping my husband get the bikes off the rack, putting the water bottles in their holders, and donning my sunglasses. We have worked our way up to riding about fourteen miles, and I'm feeling as though I'm getting fairly accomplished. I hopped on my bike and began pedaling out of the parking lot.

As I proudly cruised past the little boys I heard one of them say, "That old lady is gonna ride a bike!"








The mental image I had of myself cycling masterfully down the road slowly dissolved into one more like this:





I think there's a lesson in pride here somewhere.

Blessings,

 
  posted at 4:10 PM
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

That is too funny!! I often think that young kids are thinking that when they see me pedaling over to the gym. But I don't do anywhere near 14 miles. Good for you guys!

I told DC I want to take a trip to SA in the spring. It would be so much fun to get together!

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Old lady indeed!!!! I don't think so - in your prime !!

You know, when I read this I suddenly realised how un-used I have become to the insults of old lady, old bag, old woman etc at school. And how much I love being surrounded by people who don't insult and huirt others. Hmmm. More food for thought.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh Linda...too cute! But really, 61 is definitely not old anymore...especially when you can bike for 14 miles! I'm so impressed!
And remember, with kids, 35 sometimes is an old lady. (And ahem...45!) ;)

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Marilyn in Mississippi said...

So funny! I wish THIS old lady...ME....could ride a bike that far.....or half that far.....or even one-four that far! I guess you get the picture....I'm pretty much out of shape! Maybe you'll inspire me! :)

God bless you!

Marilyn in Mississippi

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

How funny. Last year a couple of children commented on my husband and I riding bikes, they too were astounded old people were riding bikes.

Have a great day.

Annette

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Barb said...

You're too funny, posting that last photo. This happens to me so often any more, I'm almost beginning to get used to it. Almost.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Linda,
Fourteen miles is a wonderful accomplishment. Those much younger would be challenged to do that.
Your son's new home looks just beautiful. I love the stone work!
xo

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Fourteen miles! I'm sure that's WAY MORE than that loud little kid could do!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger tonia said...

*hee*

oh linda, this post made me laugh out loud! you are wonderful.

i am THOROUGHLY impressed with your 14 miles. i am going to have to test out my bike skills and see if i can keep up with you!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I'm still laughing... kids say the darndest (sp?) things. 14 miles, WOW, you are a pro in my book and deserve a medal. Just let that kid try to pedal for 14 miles. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home