About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
One Thousand Gifts
Stay Alert!
An Award
Happy Birthday Dad
Life is Like a Crossword Puzzle
Alie
41 YEARS
As My World Tilts
Casting Your Care Upon Him
Can You Hear Me God?

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, January 31, 2008
Red Flag Day


Due to extremely dry conditions and high, gusty winds we are under a Red Flag Alert in our part of Texas today. I looked out our picture window as I was eating breakfast this morning, and the trees were indeed clapping their hands. With faint hope I asked my sweet husband if he wanted to do our usual bike ride, and he said, "Sure!". My hopes dashed, I got ready to go. I didn't want to rain on his parade, what with the wind and all.

I put on sweat pants, sweat shirt and my litte knitted cap for good measure, because although the thermometer said 55 degrees I had a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't feel all that warm (what with the wind and all). As we left the house I couldn't help but notice the trees were not only clapping their hands, they were fairly dancing!

By the time we arrived at the little park where we leave our car and unload our bikes, the trees were hanging on to the ground with their little roots for all their might. I could scarcely get the car door open! Never one to miss out on an adventure, my husband proceeded to take the bikes off the rack, put the water bottles in their holders and mount up (while I tried to remain upright). So off we went.

To say it was difficult to ride into the face of that wind is a huge understatement. There were times I practically came to a standstill! I kept muttering that this was absolutely ridiculous but continued on behind (way behind) my strong husband. There were moments when it wasn't bad at all - that would be when the wind was behind our backs and it felt as though a huge hand was propelling us along. Fortunately that was the case when we left our country road and turned onto the highway and up the biggest hill of our ride. It was amazing how easily we managed the hill. Coming down, however, was a different story. I had to pedal HARD going down-hill! Going in a straight line was a real challenge as the wind swept elegantly across the highway (elegant was not a word I would use to describe myself at this point). Add to that the eighteen-wheelers screaming by - and I was exhausted when we finally got to the bottom of the hill.

Somewhere along the way the lines from an old gospel song popped into my head. It is a song written by Joel Hemphill and part of it goes like this:
"I know the Master of the wind.
I know the Maker of the waves.
He can calm the storm, make the sun shine again.
I know the Master of the wind."

Yes, I thought, I know the One who controls this powerful force. And this wind, although powerful enough to make bike riding difficult is just a small demonstration of that power. I felt such a sense of peace, safety and protection. This Mighty God is my Father. He loves me and has promised to take care of me always. He will never leave me. I am His beloved child.

So let the wind and the storms come - "I know the Maker of the wind."

Blessings,
 
  posted at 1:59 PM
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

The wind is a powerful force, both to our benefit and our detriment. It all depends on whether we're working with it or fighting against it, doesn't it? Kind of like when we work with or against God's will for us.....

Great post, Linda. Hope all is well with you and yours, dear friend. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I'll tell you, Linda, I am just so impressed. One thing I NEVER do is ride a bike in the wind. Call me lazy, but if the wind's a blowin' I ain't goin'.

LOL

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Sandi said...

Love the post. The master pushes us when we need to go forward and holds us back when he wants us to slow down.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You are a better woman than I! Not only would I have stayed home, I would certainly not have had a spiritual experience to share! You are wonderful!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I forgot - Kate's home! Come on over and see the celebration.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Well I have to applaud you for going along. I would have done everything in my power to talk my hubby out of that ride. But look at the great lesson God gave you about Himself through it all.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Sure they were clapping... they were cheering you on! I'm so inspired by you! I can remember riding against the wind and practically standing still, LOL.

We live near a lake and it was so windy this week it looked like the gulf, it was churning so. As I looked out at that choppy water one day, I thought of part of the hymn "Be Still My Soul"

"Be still my soul
the wind and waves still know
His voice Who ruled them
while He dwelled below."

Praise God we can know Him, too!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Thanks for this very meaningful post Linda. I've been feeling like I've been in a bit of a storm myself lately.
xo

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger eph2810 said...

I think it is so awesome that you and your beloved go for a bike-ride - rain or shine :)

You are right Linda - no matter where the wind blows from, we know the Maker of the wind, and it is good there He is there no matter what.

Thank you so much for sharing, my sweet friend.

Blessings on your week :)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Great inspiration Linda... I am delighted, I know your Master of the wind too and that is a blessing indeed!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

You write so beautifully! I admire your determination, and your husband's. I probably would've stayed inside.
I'm reminded that our pastor always thanks God for the storms,the snow, or whatever He sends us :)

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I loved reading this, and your wind up at the end - I know the maker of the wind. Indeed. xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home