About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Wearing Glasses
God's Word
Service?
Just Rambling
PRAISE
Why I Chose Middle Years
Me and My Grandma
My Grandmother
The Flower Garden
My Garden - My Heart

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, September 07, 2006
Some Things I've Learned
I have reached a certain age where I think perhaps I have learned a few of life’s lessons. One would think, at my age, I would have learned more of life’s lessons by now, but I am an admittedly slow learner. I also tend to learn things the hard way. I keep trying to avoid that and just learn without having to hit all the bumps in the road. I’m just not very good at it. I have, however, finally achieved a measure of wisdom I can share.

Things I Have Learned:
(Certainly not original, but as I said I’m a bit of a slow learner)

1. If you fail to wear the retainer the orthodontist had specially made for you because you just don’t think it’s very sexy to wear a retainer once you’re married, you will end up wearing braces again when you are in your fifties (not very attractive).

2. There really is no such thing as a right to happiness. I bought into that idea when I was younger, and all it got me was a lot of heartache. You cannot live a totally selfish life and expect to be happy. The Lord has promised me joy, but He never promised I would always be happy.

3. Words are powerful. When I lash out in anger, it hurts. When I talk about someone close to me to others, they are left with all those negative thoughts long after I have gotten over my problem. When I “share” information about someone else, it is always hurtful to someone. When I use words in a positive way, they bless, encourage and edify.

4. God’s grace truly is amazing. I have agonized over the mistakes I made as a Mom – lost sleep thinking about them. When I asked my children to forgive me for my failures, they don’t even remember them. They tell me what a great Mom I was. That’s God’s grace in their lives.

5. Don’t sweat the small stuff. There are some things that really aren’t important. I don’t want to be so concerned with the external “stuff” I don’t take care of what counts for eternity.

6. Every day is a precious gift. I have learned to stop looking ahead to things I want to do “some day” and treasure each day.

7. The ability to listen is a precious gift. I tend to want to be able to solve someone else’s problems with a timely “word of wisdom”. I think a hurting heart is much more in need of a listening heart.

8 Solomon was right, “there is nothing new under the sun”. Human nature simply does not change.

9. Being a “people pleaser” is not a good thing. I have to learn this lesson over and over again. I so want to be liked ; it sometimes renders me incapable of doing what needs to be done or confronting things that need to be dealt with.

10. Honesty really is the best policy. Have you ever noticed how difficult it is not to lie – ever? I thought I was an honest person until I began to truly listen to my own words. I tend to “shade the truth” when I don’t want to appear to be in the wrong. I tend to “exaggerate” just to make the story sound a little better. It is never the right thing to do (of course I don’t mean that I would ever want to hurt someone with my honesty – that isn’t right either).

These are a few of the things I’ve learned. Nothing very profound, but they are all things that in one way or another have helped me grow a bit. The one overriding thing I know is that there needs to be in my life much more of Jesus and much less of me. Then I will be the me He created me to be and I will be rich indeed.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 2:30 PM
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 3:05 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Well, now, you could be speaking of my life. There is just so.much.to.learn all the time. It's a good thing we have a patient and loving God.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi, Linda, and thanks for visiting my humble blog. It's always nice to "meet" new friends. I poked around a little and found we have a lot in common. ;D
We also have several blogging friends in common.

I bookmarked your blog so I can drop by often. Feel free to visit and comment at my place, too. :-)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Yay!! You did it!! :-)

I know just what you mean about fooling with your template. I DID wipe out my sidebar back in March and I literally cried over it. I had worked so hard to get it just right then I made a careless mistake and it just killed my soul. I have a practice blog that I do my changes on before I attempt them on my REAL blog. Lesson learned the hard way #3261, LOL. ;-)

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I'm truly honored, and I'll add you to mine. :-)

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Susie said...

These are all wonderful things to learn and good words to live by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home