About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
The Flower Garden
My Garden - My Heart
Pizza Box Meme
I'm Not Going Back to Babylon
Life's "Inevitables"
Is That You Lord?
Kicking Rocks
An Eeyore Day
What Do You Think About Prayer?
Quiet

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Saturday, August 26, 2006
My Grandmother
I tend to be a little behind on some of the blog “things”. There are times I sit and think about a thing for awhile instead of doing my customary shoot from the hip (too often it’s shoot from the lip) approach. Honestly, sometimes my words and actions are way ahead of any brain activity. Anyway…here is my idea for a novel.

It isn’t fiction, but I would write it that way because I don’t have enough of the facts to flesh out the story. I would love to write the story of my Grandmother’s life. She died when I was only two, so I don’t have any memories of her, but I have listened to my Mom and her sisters talk about her all my life. She was an amazing woman.

She came to America from Italy when she was five years old. She came with her mother across the ocean on a big ship, landing at Ellis Island. My Mom tells how she had to walk for miles through this strange new city, clutching her mother’s hand, to join the family members who had come to New York before them..

She was married at thirteen – an arranged marriage to a much older man. She didn’t get to finish school, and was instead immediately thrust into the role of wife and surrogate mother. My grandfather sent for his family members as he earned enough money, so whenever someone arrived from Italy, my grandmother took them in. The marriage was a strong, loving one that lasted until my Grandfather died at age sixty-five.

She never did anything newsworthy or amazing by the world’s standards, but she quietly sacrificed for the sake of her family day in and day out. She lost babies in ways that could easily have been prevented in our time. One little girl died of blood poisoning from a cut that became infected. Another little boy died of spinal meningitis. One heartache after another, and yet she continued to be the heart and soul of her family. Whenever there was a tragedy or sickness in their poor neighborhood, she was the one they called. During the terrible Influenza epidemic, she went from home to home nursing those who were ill and couldn’t afford a doctor. Miraculously, she never got sick herself nor did anyone in her family. When the depression made putting simple meals on the table a challenge, she managed to feed not only her family but anyone else who needed help.

When I think of her life and compare it to mine I am humbled. She was a remarkable woman. I wish I could do her story justice.

Blessings,
Linda
 
  posted at 11:50 AM
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Heather said...

This is wonderful. You have already got it started, keep going. :) I love stories like this, they are so encouraging.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Oh I would love to read her story as fiction. This is the kind of stuff I love. You do have many memories of your grandmother, just not by knowing her, but by hearing all of her stories. I sometimes think when a person leaves behing loved ones who are so young, the others around keep that person vividly alive. This is an awesome thing to do and something done not quite nearly enough in this day and age.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Barb said...

What an amazing woman. It's sad to think mothers lost their children to things that are so easily cured now. Sounds like her heart as well as her door was always open.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

Oh, she does sound like a remarkable lady. What a life she lived. Makes my complaining seem so selfish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home