About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Me and My Grandma
My Grandmother
The Flower Garden
My Garden - My Heart
Pizza Box Meme
I'm Not Going Back to Babylon
Life's "Inevitables"
Is That You Lord?
Kicking Rocks
An Eeyore Day

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, August 28, 2006
Why I Chose Middle Years
I'm glad I went to Barb's blog before starting to write today. I finally came up with an idea, but now I can save it for tomorrow and give my little brain a rest.

My first choice for the name for my Blog was actually Seventh Inning Stretch. However, I had such problems getting it going I had to change the name in order to get things started. So...Middle Years.

I'm trying to convey the same idea I had with both names. It is the time of life my husband and I are in right now. For us it is the time between the empty nest and REALLY old age. It is a very nice time - a kind of respite. That's not to say there haven't been difficulties - there certainly have. We've had to face some very trying times in recent months.

Although we are not strictly retirement age, my husband has been retired because of medical problems for the past twenty years. We made (or more acurately I made) the adjustment to having him home full-time while our kids were still fairly young. We somehow made it thorough those challenging teen years and college, and now they are all grown and gone.

My parents are in their eighties, but they are in good health both mentally and physically. They live in a little apartment we added to the back of our house. It has worked out well because they are still independent.

So...once you get used to having the chicks all gone (and it is hard at first) - you discover that it's got some definite pluses!! It's such fun to just decide to take the day and do something you just feel like doing (it isn't even necessary!); to go out to lunch or to a matinee or just for a drive. We can do volunteer work at church, or take a morning Bible Study without having to worry about who will watch the kids.

Being Grandparents is all everyone has ever said it was - pure joy! It is all the fun and none of the hard work. It is amazing how much easier it is to "raise" grandchildren. Hey - it's not my responsibility to discipline them, I'm just here to love them to pieces.

I think one of greatest joys at this particular time of life is to see the amazing adults your children have grown up to be - in spite of all the mistakes that still keep me awake at night with feelings of regret. To know they all love the Lord is a treasure money can't buy.

All of that to say - these are the middle years of my life and God is good.

Blessings,
Linda

PS I apologize for not linking to Barb's site. I still don't know how to do it :-)
 
  posted at 1:39 PM
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I love your title and how you find such joy at this time of your life. You make me look forward to the years ahead and what God has in store. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Well, Linda, I could have written this post. And I could have used your title. This is exactly where I am. Empty nest but certainly not OLD yet. hee hee

So your blog title is perfect for you and where you are right now.

Here's a question? What are you going to change it to 30 years from now? Just thought I'd see if I could get you going. :-)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Hi Linda, Thanks for coming by my blog today. Your title and why you chose it could have been written by me. Aren't the empty nest and middle years wonderful?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Ditto...it's just the two of us. We love this time in our lives and I could have written this as well. In fact, it sounds an awful lot like what I posted. lol You'll have to come visit. :)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What an encouraging note. I am right in the midst of all the chicks (well, 2 of them--a toddler and a schooler), and I know it will be a sad time when they leave, but I hope it will be full as well.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Linda, thanks for commenting on my blog. When you talked about squirming when remembering the things you've said or done I could completely relate!!! My Mom is awesome and if I'm half as good my daughter will be lucky :)

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

Personally, for whatever it matters, I like your choice of middle years over seventh inning stretch. Just fits you better somehow...Guess it was just meant to be. :-)

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

I also prefer Middle Years to Seventh Inning Stretch. Good choice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home