About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Christmas
The Light of the World
The Star
Finding the Perfect Christmas Tree
This Is Christmas
New Star Shining
Our Christmas Program/ "Reaching"
"The Hand of Sweet Release"
Thinking About Mary
South Texas SNOWSTORM!

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Monday, December 29, 2008
Interrupted Break
I find that my little break - the time when I thought I would just sort of take it easy - has been interrupted. My Dad suffered a heart attack Sunday night and had to have an emergency procedure to fix the blockage to his heart.

He had been having pain off and on since before Christmas and attributed it to the acid reflux they have been treating him for for over a year. The same acid reflux that has sent him to the hospital four times. As it turns out, it very likely wasn't acid reflux at all, but rather his heart.

Sunday morning we got together with our older son and his family at my Mom and Dad's house before they had to head home to Dallas. All during the visit Dad seemed uncomfortable but didn't complain much - just seemed worn out. We didn't stay long and left hoping he would be able to get in a good nap.

Once we were gone, he told my Mom he had terrible chest pains. He thought it would pass - because it always did in the past. However, the pain became unbearable and my Mom took him to the emergency room.

To make a very long story short, when they got back the results from his blood work they realized he had had a heart attack. They put him in i.c.u. and sent my Mom home. Shortly after I talked to her, the cardiologist called and said they were transporting him to a hospital in the city because they had found a blockage that had to be treated immediately.

So....we jumped in the car, drove the twenty miles to pick up my Mom and headed to the hospital. We beat the ambulance by just a few minutes. The procedure took about an hour. When it was over the doctor showed us, via computer, everything he had done. It was immediately apparent that God had worked a miracle for my Dad.

The large blood vessel leading to the left side of his heart was 100% blocked - another hour and he would not have made it. It was a very difficult procedure. The doctor had to make several tries before he could get the stint in and the artery cleared. I'm not sure another doctor would have been as skilled or persistent. He inserted four stints in all, and my Dad will have to go back to have three more smaller blockages cleared.

It was amazing to see the whole thing unfold before our eyes. The blockage was so evident and so big. We could see as it finally cleared and the blood began to flow into his heart. There was some damage done to his heart, but the doctor said that he thinks most of it will repair itself now that it is getting the proper blood flow. He also said my Dad will feel so much better. The pain and constant tiredness should be gone. He was so pleased with the way everything went.

Today my Dad sat up and ate his lunch. It tired him out, but he really looks so good considering all he has been through. We are so thankful and continue to pray that he will make a good recovery and that the other procedures (they will be done in a few weeks) will go just as well as this one did.

God is so good. My Dad will be 89 on January 23rd. We are so very blessed. Thank You Father.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 7:18 PM
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 8:03 PM, Blogger grammy said...

I am so glad it all turned out the way it did. Thank God he had your mom take him instead of just thinking it was the same problem he had been having. I am sure it was a scare for all of you. I will pray he recovers from this so he can have the rest of the work done.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Even though you are taking a break, I decided to check your blog thinking you may have posted a few more family pictures.

Glad to hear a praise report after such a dire situation. I am lifting your father up in prayer now.

Annette

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow praise God for Doctors wisdom and quick thinking. Praying for the recovery of your Dad and for the rest of the family.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Shawna said...

Wow, Linda, praise God for the miracles He worked in your dad! I am sure your dad will begin to feel so much better as he recovers and gets the other procedures done.

I pray for an easy recovery and for all of you to feel peace and strength as you help them.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Glad it turned out so well- you're all in my prayers x

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Priase lifted to God. I will keep your dad in my prayers. I pray also for the needs of your family both phyical and emotional.

Isn't modern medicine wonderful. You could see what they did on a computer.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Maxine said...

Wow. Praise the Lord that everything worked out so well. I am so thankful for you and your family--God had His hand on your Dad all the way, for whatever His purposes are in all this. Thank God for the doctor and for his persistence. Thank God for the knowledge and medical advancements that have been made to give your dad this more time on this earth. Pray all of you have a good 2009.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I am so thankful that it turned out so well, but I keep wondering why the diagnosis has been wrong for so long. That always puzzles me in this age of such great medical miracles. Praise the Lord that he got there in time!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Linds said...

Oh Linda, I have just seen this. I am so thankful your Dad is making a good recovery. Thank God. Such blessings. Happy New Year to you all.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Linda! Bless you for praising Him through the storm. I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions you must have been feeling. I send you all my love and prayers for 2009.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Linda, I am so happy that your dad is okay now. Praying for a full recovery and this was so eye-opening. Skip suffers from acid reflux and I am going to keep a close eye on it in the future. Happy New Year!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Dearest Linda,

What a scary time for all of you, I'm just so glad that everything turned out so well. I pray that your dad makes a full recovery and can enjoy many more years with his family:-)

Wishing you and yours all the very best that 2009 has to offer, dear Linda. Happy New Year!! xoxo

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Oh Linda. That must have been so scary for you. I am so glad he is doing good now. Praying for continued improvement for him and wisdom for the docs for the rest of his treatment.

Happy and Healthful New Year to you and all your family.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

Happy New Year, Linda!

Praying things are better for ya'll now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home