About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Happy New Year and an update
Interrupted Break
Christmas
The Light of the World
The Star
Finding the Perfect Christmas Tree
This Is Christmas
New Star Shining
Our Christmas Program/ "Reaching"
"The Hand of Sweet Release"

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Sunday, January 04, 2009
My Word For the New Year
My word for the New Year last January was path. I felt the Lord impressing on my heart the need for surrender, full and complete, to the plans He had for me. Somewhere in the process I felt a sort of hopelessness settling into my spirit. As I gave control of my circumstances to the Lord, I somehow began to feel that perhaps the most urgent prayers would go unanswered. I wondered if silence meant that I simply shouldn't keep asking for those things I so desperately wanted. Was there a time when hope for those things was gone?

A Christian magazine came in the mail yesterday. There was an article about what to do when God is silent. The author concluded that we must never give up hope.

Then we sang "My Hope" last night for our choir number: "My hope is in the Lord, from this time on and evermore." I felt something stirring in my heart.

When hope is gone, there is sense of despair that settles in like a thick fog blocking the view to heaven. "Hope deferred makes the heart sick..." (Proverbs 13:12a). Hope comes like a ray of sunlight, penetrating and dispersing the fog.

My Bible defines hope as "comfort, expectation, confidence, trust." I had a Pastor once who defined it as "confident expectation." That ministers to me. I understand that I will not necessarily get everything I ask for. However, hope allows me to trust in the character of a loving Father and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He will work all things together for good. And so I continue to pray....with hope.

"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
Romans 5: 3-5


"Sustain me according to Thy word, that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope."
Psalm 119:116


"For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11


This is what I am working on in my spare moments these days. It is a fitting picture for this post. It is a baby blanket for a young woman in our choir I recently met. I think of a brand new life filled with potential and carrying such hope for a future in Jesus.


Blessings,
 
  posted at 11:34 AM
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

It seems your word for the New Year is hope. That alone is inspriring. I beleive my word is patient. I know God will keep allowing trials and I will need to remain patient. I just HOPE I remember the joy I am feeling for being patient now.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Beautiful post sweet Sister in Christ.

Monday night after work, I will again do some of the NYCB workout...thinking at night, I can do 20 to 30 min of it, take an Alleve and fall into bed and whine to the Lord about my aches and pains...

Have a safe trip to and from Houston.

Annette

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Oh how I needed to read this tonight. I wondered how I could describe what I have been feeling God say to me in these last couple of weeks, and then it just came as I read your words... quiet. It seems to go so well with hope doesn't it? Thank you for the scriptures. And that baby blanket pattern is beautiful.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger grammy said...

Wonderful words. Thanks. Blanket is so cute. I was looking at all the pretty new and different yarns at Hobby Lobby....wishing I could knit. I can't, but I thought about buying some to use for little girl art projects (o:

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

We talked about hope today in Sunday school - such a great word! What would we do without hope.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger tonia said...

Hope is such a precious word to build a year on, Linda. I rejoice with you in what the Lord has to offer you this year.

I can tell you this: you are a BLESSING. Everytime your name pops into my comment box I smile.

so glad to be your sister in Jesus.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger tonia said...

btw, that is a sweet blanket...i love that pattern!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home