About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Bloom Where You Are Planted
Potential In Jesus
Red Flag Day
One Thousand Gifts
Stay Alert!
An Award
Happy Birthday Dad
Life is Like a Crossword Puzzle
Alie
41 YEARS

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
A Listening Heart
The scenery in the movie “Out of Africa” is absolutely breath-taking. I could watch it over and over again just to get a glimpse of those magnificent pictures of Africa. I am also mesmerized by the beautiful stories the heroine tells. In one such story she describes the man she is speaking of as having “a listening heart”. Those words touched something inside my own heart, and I have never forgotten them.

A listening heart – the words make me think of my Heavenly Father, for surely His is a listening heart. When I think of all the noise going on around me, of the multiplied thousands of voices raised to Him in prayer at any given moment, it is of infinite comfort to know that He hears my voice as though I were the only one in the universe. For those moments I am His only child, and He inclines His ear to me. But He doesn’t just hear the words I speak; He hears my heart. In those moments when I don’t have words to express my feelings He understands. When I am afraid, He tenderly draws me in. When I ache with the hurts of life, His compassionate heart feels just what I feel. When I weep, His tears are mingled with my own. When I rejoice, His heart overflows with joy. When I am burdened with guilt and remorse, His heart is filled with mercy and grace. When my heart overflows with love for Him, He responds with a love that knows no bounds. When I have a heart filled with gratitude, His heart is blessed. What comfort, what joy to know that I am known by the Living God is such a way. He listens to me with His heart.

Oh to have a heart that listens; to hear more than just the words. I want to hear the heart of those who speak to me – to hear the notes below the melody that reveal the true feelings. I want to hear with compassion and grace. I want to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. I want to give the gift of a listening heart.


Blessings,
 
  posted at 12:22 PM
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful! I do, too!

I also want to go to AFrica and see what my son fell in love with - and meet the family of the girl he fell in love with. I also have cousins over there, and would love to see Ann in her home setting.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Linda?
You *are* a listening heart, my friend. Truly.
Father continues to shape you into a beautiful heart...
You are loved.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Linda this was such a meaningful post and something that I need to work on... "a listening heart"! It is almost like God had you write it just for me. Thank you so much for the inspirational and thought provoking posts, that I NEED to read. You are a blessing indeed!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Linda what a beautiful post! Something I needed to hear!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

This was so very beautiful, Linda!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger As We Sail... said...

I wish I had more of a listening heart. And even though I know my Father has the ever listening heart, I am sad that I don't "let" Him enough. It is good to have times to mourn our sin.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

You said: "to hear the notes below the melody that reveal the true feelings" - I LOVED that. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home