About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
MR. & MRS. DOVE
Pickled Eggplant
Taking The Bait
Shout to the Lord
God Over All
One Thousand Gifts
Interrupting My Break For....Socks!
Undecided
One Thousand Gifts
Knitting

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Thursday, September 25, 2008
WAITING
I have been thinking about this business of waiting for some time now. It is, of course, because I have such heart-felt needs I've been praying about for a very long time. The answer, for now, has come back "wait". It is hard to wait when the needs are pressing.

I have come to understand that there is a purpose in waiting - that it is part of the process God is using to mold and shape my life into the image He has in mind. The Father has explained that to me in one way or another over and over again. In fact, the speaker at Bible Study yesterday spoke about it. She was talking about deliverance. She said that sometimes the Lord brings about visible, immediate, miraculous deliverance, and sometimes it is an invisible deliverance - a time when the Father is doing a work in our hearts. It is a process that begins with complete surrender to His agenda - trusting as we wait to see what He will do.



I often picture myself a bit like Winnie the Pooh sitting on a log muttering "Think, think, think..." when I am trying to work something through in my mind. I learn best when I can find a practical illustration in my mind for what I'm trying to work through. As I was preparing supper last evening, I suddenly got a very practical picture of waiting.

When I am in a hurry to complete something, I tend to look for short-cuts. For instance, if I'm painting something and it requires two or more coats of paint, and I'm in a rush to get it done, I don't wait for the first coat to completely dry before I apply the next one. The result is a mess. Or if I've baked a cake and am in a hurry to put the icing on - if I don't wait until the cake is thoroughly cooled I get icing filled with cake crumbs.

The same is true with children. Their growth is a process. There are steps that cannot be skipped over. A baby can't run - there is a lot of growth that must take place before that can happen. As much as he would love to be able to run and play on his own he simply isn't ready yet. A ten year old can't get a driver's license - even though it is her fondest wish to drive a little red sports car.

That is what this waiting is all about. It isn't a time where I am stuck in a place for a long time getting nowhere; rather it is a time when God is doing things in my life to prepare me for whatever He has planned in answer to my prayer. He is waiting for the optimum time to ice the cake, apply the second coat of paint or let me take the wheel.

I'm sure that most of you have seen all of this clearly a long time ago. I am, like Pooh, a rather slow learner. I have intellectually understood this business of waiting, but suddenly it is just a little clearer. It makes the waiting a bit easier.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 10:24 AM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Waiting... I think the way you explained it in such simple terms even made it clearer for me! I've always known that my trials in life, are times when God teaches me the most; but I never thought about waiting as God's preparation for the future! Thank you... you are a blessing to me!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Beautiful message...

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Seriously, Linda, I hope you are putting all of these thoughts you write into a binder for future publishing! I am not kidding. I am picturing you sitting on a log and saying, "Think, think." Love the mental image!

As for the doves - oh, my goodness, what a lovely story. And did you get that shot of them? Just beautiful.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Maxine said...

"Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and He will strengthen thine heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord." A favorite verse of mine and this post was a reminder of that. Beautifully expressed and so true.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Well, I've probably been sitting right beside you on that log a time or two. sigh. What a wonderful post, Linda!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Linds said...

I am on that log too. I know the waiting. I just have to work on the patience bit. Thanks for this beautiful post, Linda.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I love the image of Pooh symbolizing you waiting. Great post with a wonderful message..
xo

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I actually don't mind waiting now. I use to be a very impatient person and I wanted things right away but when I started giving things to God, I started noticing how wonderful things were happening so now i don't mind :-)

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Terri Tiffany said...

I understand the waiting. This last year, my husband and I have waited for God to point us in the right direction--not always an easy feat for sure --but the best. I loved how you wrote this devotional! Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home