About Me

Name: Linda

Location: Texas


I am a wife, mom and grandma. I am doing what I've wanted to do all my life. I am a Christian and I love the Lord.

My Complete Profile
Contact Me


Blogrolls
Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

A Group Blog for Christian Moms

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Recent Posts
Pickled Eggplant
Taking The Bait
Shout to the Lord
God Over All
One Thousand Gifts
Interrupting My Break For....Socks!
Undecided
One Thousand Gifts
Knitting
Knitting with a Side of Politics

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
August 2009


Search


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:



Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site






Subscribe with Bloglines


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. Site Meter

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
MR. & MRS. DOVE


Meet Mr. and Mrs. Dove. They are regular visitors to our bird bath. They always come together and always follow the same little routine.

First they take dainty little sips of water. Having satisfied their thirst, they then gently step into the water and bathe. Nothing splashy mind you - just a relaxing soak. When they are finished, they don't fly away like all the other birds. They gracefully float down into the grass, walk around finding just the right spot and settle down to dry off in the sunshine.

There they sit, side by side, soaking in the sun and enjoying each others company.
I understand why they are symbolic of peace. They are so quiet (unlike the blue birds who screech loud enough to wake the dead) and so gentle (unlike previously mention blue birds who chase all the other birds away when they want a drink).

They are not, however, foolish. Just the tiniest noise or movement, and they take flight. The verse in Matthew 10:16 is quite fitting:
"...therefore be shrewd as serpents, and innocent as doves."

I love watching them and thought you'd like to meet them.

Blessings,
 
  posted at 5:16 PM
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Oh Linda, what a great post! I don't have any dove visitors and didn't realize they were so quiet. You really found the perfect Bible verse to go along with your post. I'm glad you stopped by... when my computer crashed, I lost all of my favorites so I haven't been able to visit your blog. I've missed you! Your posts are a blessing to me.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Such a lovely shot you got of them! We have many doves that hang around in our yard and like you, I just love watching them. At times we have over 20 doves and other times just a couple. They are such beautiful birds and so quiet and peaceful looking. xoxo

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Yes, Linda... thank you for introducing us to your doves... and sweetly whispering that verse.

You are a blessing...

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Linds said...

Lovely, Linda. You know what struck me? The fact that you have taken the time to know your doves who visit, and their habits. They have been "seen". What a beautiful moment.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Sandi said...

Love the post. What I thought about as I read it is this is what a marriage is like. You come together taking small sips of life until you step fully in. Then as you mature you sit in the sun and enjoy each others company.
OK I have an active mind.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Maxine said...

This is one of my greatest joys--watching the birds. We feed them all year round and each type of bird has a personality all its own. I think the Lord gives them to us to take us away from the cares of the world.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Your doves are beautiful. I have had many more doves the last 2 weeks. They arrived just after Ike, I think their trees may have fallen. I am glad to have them.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Such a sweet post!
We don't get any doves in our area, at least that I know of...

And I love your new profile pic! I don't think I even knew what you looked like so it's wonderful to see you! :)

Hugs,
~Tammy

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I love birds, except the squawking crows and magpies that are over plenteous around here. Great shot of your doves. I almost thought they were part of the birdbath at first glance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home